Recovering from a vasectomy reversal should be relatively quick and reasonably comfortable. However, this does not mean that you will not need to take any special precautions after your surgery.
Here are a few dos and don’ts to help speed up your recovery and reduce your risk of complications.
- Keep your dressing in place for at least 48 hours by wearing supportive briefs or trunks.
- Avoid bathing in the 48 hours after your operation but please have a shower twice a day. When you do have a bath or shower, avoid using toiletries as they may cause irritation.
- Be aware of the possible signs of an infection. If you suffer from extreme pain, redness, swelling and/or tenderness, contact us straight away or see your GP for advice.
- Cool the area to help reduce any pain and swelling. The easiest way to do this is to wrap an ice pack in a clean tea towel and place it against the affected area.
Follow our instructions regarding the use of painkillers. If we have advised you to take painkillers, do not exceed the recommended dose, or take them more often than the instructions advise.
- Avoid all sports for at least two weeks, and contact sports for at least four weeks.
- Avoid swimming for at least 4-6 weeks to ensure that the wound is totally healed. Chlorine can break wounds down.
- Avoid long periods of sitting, standing or walking for at least a few days following surgery.
- Drive yourself home after surgery. Get a lift from a loved one or make use of public transport.
- Drink alcohol for at least 48 hours after your operation, as this can increase your risk of post-operative bleeding.
- Be alarmed if you notice a small, pea-sized lump around your wound. This is a sign that your body is healing.
- Smoke, even if it is just for the time that you are recovering. Smoking will delay the healing process.
- Hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
The time it takes you to recover from your surgery will largely depend on your willingness to follow our instructions. If you take all the right precautions, you will boost your chances of achieving healthy sperm production.