A vasectomy reversal is a surgical procedure where the tubes that carry sperm from the testicles to the penis are reconnected. This procedure is mainly done as a means to restore a man’s fertility after he has had a vasectomy. This procedure can be done on any man who has had a vasectomy at any age, and by whatever means of surgical procedure his vasectomy was performed. Some reasons why a man may want a vasectomy reversal could include that he and his wife or partner have changed their mind about remaining childless, or perhaps they want more children together. He may also be in a new marriage or relationship and would like children with his new wife or partner. Health reasons also contribute to a man’s decision for a vasectomy reversal, such as to relieve ongoing pain after a vasectomy.
Although most men consider their vasectomy to be permanent at the time of the procedure, there is an increasing demand for vasectomy reversals these days. Before making that appointment, however, you should gather information to help you choose the best vasectomy reversal surgeon for the job.
Helpful Tips to Look Out For
- Experience: Choose a surgeon who specialises in vasectomy reversal operations. Check to see how many surgeries the surgeon performs on a weekly, monthly, and annual basis. One who performs just a few per year against one who performs dozens may not have the specialised experience you might prefer.
- Surgical procedure: A surgeon’s website should discuss what to expect when getting this procedure, and inform you of how it’s done. This procedure should only be done by using a microscope due to the miniscule stitching involved. If no microscope is mentioned in the procedure, you may want to reconsider that particular surgeon for your reversal operation.
- Post-vasectomy pregnancies: Check for a track record percentage of pregnancies reported by patients. If the numbers are high, this is a good indication that the surgeon has skill and experience performing this procedure, and that your own chances of fertility may increase.
- Reviews/Testimonials: Look for surgeons who have websites dedicated to this specialty, and see if they allow patients to review their work. Read the testimonials from their patients and discern if the recommendations outweigh any negative comments. The best surgeons will of course generate the most positive endorsements regarding success of the procedure and the surgeon’s commitment to addressing your questions and needs. Those who’s patient base are by majority disapproving, or if they don’t allow patient reviews, could be questionable in their practice and experience.
- At the appointment: Once you’ve decided who to see, make an appointment as soon as possible to speak with the surgeon. This will be your best opportunity to ask questions and establish your own opinion and level of trust in the surgeon’s skills and abilities to serve you well. During your appointment, you should also cover the suggestions listed above. Even if their website answered your questions, it’s always best to clarify in person just in case any info has changed since their last site update. This is also the time to discuss costs and fees, and clarify what is covered.
We understand how blinding the science of the procedure can be, and how choosing a skilled surgeon to perform this procedure can feel somewhat overwhelming. That’s why surgeons like Mr. Harriss take time to consult with both you and your spouse/partner to answer your questions and help you move forward with your family planning as soon as possible. Please contact us today to schedule a consultation.